"... a primeira que existiu em terra portuguesa, funcionando desde 16 de Outubro de 1954, a cores..."No Pedro de Merelim- Freguesias da Praia, p. 293
Armed Forces Radio and Television facilities atop Santa Rita hill at Lajes field the Azores, Portugal. Hhis buiding designed and built to house the Lajes radio and television oprerations, the first of IT's king in the armed forces, was dedicated on 17 May 1958.
The Colonel, now Major General Harold L. Smith, inaugurates the first overseas Armed Forces Television Station. CSB-218, then CSL-TV, was housed in two bedrooms of a Boq.
CSB-218 presents the news. 2nd lt Jay B. Welsh is Newscastar as floor Director Alc Kenneth G. Lamerand is prepared to cue him.
Cameramen Ssgts Juan L. Vela (foreground) and Raymond T. Glinka Keep close watch on vidicon type cameras used in studio production.
CSB-218 now presents three newscats daily to keep viewers posted on up-to-the minute world news.
A CSB-218 Newscast as seen from the television control room. Three TV Newscasts each day Lajes personnel informed. The days events are presented from a Major wire service, and reports from newsmen around the world are fed to CSB- 218 from armed forces Radio ande television service in new york.
Preventative maintenance is performed on television projectors by Alc Michael T. Cleary and SSGT CLyde H. Brazell.Both are members of the 1936 TH Conunication Aquadron is responsible for the maintenance of the television ande radio equipment.
Fotos: colection LMB